Monday, June 21, 2004

Pencil, Rice, or Money? Or "(D) All of the Above"?

Archiving some of the family photos over the weekend, I came across a series of photos from both my "hundred day" and "first year" celebrations. Koreans traditionally observe the first one hundred days of a newborn child's life by hosting a large gathering and feast. Later, they host an even more elaborate first year birthday celebration (referred to as "dohl"). This includes the requisite photo of the child adorned in a traditional silk hanbok posing in front of the customary spread of fruits and rice cakes. In his or her hands is one of three items (there are probably a few more choices, but these are the ones I recall): a pencil, rice, or paper currency. The child is presented with the three items and is allowed to select only one, the idea being that each of the items represents a particular path or priority that the child will pursue later in life: pencil (pursuit of knowledge), rice (pursuit of happiness), and money (pursuit of wealth). I chose the pencil. But given that (1) I love eating out and (2) I work in the investment field, maybe I would have grabbed all three if given the opportunity.