Wednesday, June 16, 2004

French Connection: Merci et Mercy

Working in financial derivatives, you grow accustomed to fielding calls from overseas, in particular, from trading desks in London and in Paris. Normally, the calls from our French counterparts at BNP Paribas or at Societe Generale don't phase me because everyone there knows to speak English and usually do so with ease. However, earlier today, someone from BNP Paribas phoned in using what was a very heavy, almost over-the-top French accent. "Ah-LO? Eh-que-TEE Deh-reev-u-TEEVS?" It was so thick and comical in fact that for a split second, I was convinced we were talking to Inspector Clouseau, the Peter Sellers character from the Pink Panther series. I had to mute the phone for fear he would hear me choking in laughter. I half expected to hear Cato, Clouseau's wily oriental butler, ambush him in mid-sentence. One of my favorite Pink Panther scenes ever: Clouseau: "Does your dog bite?"... Hotel Clerk: "No."... Clouseau goes to pet the dog: "Nice doggie."... dog snaps and snarls at his hand... Clouseau: "I thought you said your dog did not bite."... Hotel Clerk: "That, is not my dog."