Friday, May 21, 2004

The "Photo Ratio" is Slipping Even Further

Jeannie and James emailed the photos from this past weekend and there were some remarkable shots, including some amazing background photos against the Golden Gate Bridge. Apparently, the time of day is arguably the most important factor in the quality of outdoor photos. Of the seven to eight photos I was in, I would say that only one would be deemed "passable", i.e., worth preserving... and that's being quite generous. Over the years, my self-defined "photo ratio" has slipped markedly. During my twenties, the ratio hovered reliably around 1:3, meaning one in every three photos taken of me, either solely or within a group, was "a keeper". Now that I've put on a few pounds, in my thirties, the ratio has plunged to below 1:20. And if it's a bad hair day, closer to 1:50. Thank God for digital photography... a yield of 1:100 is no longer a problem as long as the memory card is intact and as long as the delete button works. As usual, T looked great in all of her shots.